Friday, June 22, 2018

Unexpected Moments

It has only been a few weeks since Annual Conference and I am still processing an event that took place during Holy Communion. Afterwards,I wept with my wife about this and how moved we both were, but honestly did not know how to respond. 

In a previous a previous post, Ambushed , I talked about being surrounded by 3 pastors and in particular one pastor who seemed to just have it out for me. It was a devastating moment for sure and a valuable lesson to learn. I was pretty far removed from the event and had not given it much thought until I signed up to serve communion at Annual Conference. 

I saw the name. His name. Thought to myself, "God you do have a sense of humor, don't you."  Boy, did he!  I was seriously over the debacle and little did I know what God had in store.

My wife and prepared to serve communion and as the pastor led us all through the blessing of the communion, I sensed that "sweet sweet spirit in this place" kind of moment.  I felt the love of my Savior. I was reminded that at the table, all are welcome. That before I come to the table, examine my heart. My heart was filled with grace that overflowed. It was truly a humbling moment to serve communion to our Annual Conference. 

As my wife and I made are way to be served, I had just focused on a moment with Jesus and the previous song we lifted up. "Break every chain. Break Every Chain." 
Then communion begins. I watch as we prepare our hearts for a connection with Christ at the table.  

The pastor stops in front of my wife. "This is the body of Christ given for you."  

I hold my hands in a cup, as if making a tiny throne for the bread of heaven. My eyes are looking at my hands and then I look up. He is staring at me. "Clay. I'm sorry." He hands me the body of Christ. Without hesitation I say "it's okay. I love you." The cup bearer comes next and I dip and tasted the radical love of God. It was over in a moment, but the moment stuck with me. 

I know. If you have read this far. Why not say... you are forgiven or I forgive you.  

That had already transpired. Sure, I was hurt by what happened, but I was never going to stay stuck by what took place.  

The reality is... we all make mistakes or get caught up in moments. I know I mess up. It is just a fact. Not a perfect anything, but this life is far too short to live with bitterness about anything.

Today and every day. Practice forgiveness. Make it a habit.

Matthew 18:21-22
21 At that point Peter got up the nerve to ask, “Master, how many times do I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?”
22 Jesus replied, “Seven! Hardly. Try seventy times seven. 
Forgiveness is a practice.God can do more with that than he ever could with your bitterness, anger, or resentment. 

(note... not sharing the names for reasons of anonymity) 


No comments:

Post a Comment